Thursday, March 29, 2007

Conversations with my Chilean husband

As I've mentioned before, my husband is still learning how to speak English. This makes for some interesting conversations.

Me: My friend told me some really shocking news today. She has a lump in her breast, but she found out today that it was ok.

Husband: She had a what?

Me: A lump in her breast.

Husband: Really? How did she do that?

Me: What?

Husband: You know, with the light....

(pause)

Me: A lump. Not a lamp.

Husband: Oh.

2 comments:

Humincat said...

My husband also speaks english as a second language (to spanish). This had me cracking up! Since my husband has been here for at least 20 years, I forget, and then all of a sudden he'll say something incorrectly. For example, when BBQing, he asks for the THONGS, and he always says Sunday, wether he means Sat. or Sunday. My fave is the SPLINKLER. I laugh everytime and go over it with him, but I don't think he'll be changing anytime soon. Oh, and all cereals are called corn flakes. Maybe thats all they ate or something. Back to your conv. w/hubby, in Chile do they ever find lamps in their breasts? Sometimes I either think my husband isn't listening or is completely braindead! Thsnks for the laugh.

notquiteawake said...

I could probably write an entire blog on the funny things my husband says unintentionally. Although, at least he tries, my Spanish is horrible!