Sunday, June 21, 2009

I had a date last night

In the style of Billie Rock, I am reporting as promised on my date last night for the two people who are interested in knowing. It's funny, I was a bit nervous about this one. Probably because it was a dinner and not just a coffee where I could bail after an hour if I wanted. And also because I decided that I was actually going to start caring about these dates because why even bother then right? Right.

So I was nervous. And also early which is good because I could watch him arrive and prepare myself. When he did arrive and I stood up to greet him, I made a mental note that maybe I shouldn't wear heels to a first date just in case the guy I meet is my size or shorter so that when we stand together I don't look like a giant. And I really had to hold myself back from saying, "How tall ARE you dude?" because I think my judgement was a bit off because of the altitude.

The restaurant was super fancy and awesome. It was a good call on my part not to wear yoga pants. I have never been to a restaurant where the waiter placed the napkin in my lap for me. And we had a different plate and cutlery for each course which the waiter set out and took away. It was pretty cool. The food was awesome and we never ran out of conversation. The best part was that one of the shows I used to produce in my old life is one of his favorite shows so we talked about that for quite a while. AND he was interested in me and what I had to say which was different.

After dinner we decided to go to The Proposal and, because he didn't really know the city and I'm directionally challenged, we got lost many many times. And we had a GPS. We made quite a team. But we finally made it to the movie with literally minutes to spare and, man, it was funny. I haven't laughed that hard at a movie for a very long time. And he likes romantic comedies so I didn't have to worry about him not enjoying himself at a movie that typically the girl would pick. I would definitely recommend the movie. If only for the scene where Ryan Reynolds is wearing nothing but a towel. Holy shit. That man is just fantastic. And so funny. Perfect combo.

There were a couple of moments in the movie which I like to call "Dance off moments" which are moments when you think, "What the fuck is happening here?" and you feel a bit embarrassed for the actors because the scene is so asinine and out of place which is what I usually feel like during dance offs in movies because the concept is so bizarre and would never happen in reality but, other than that, the movie was really good.

It's funny, I always say how I like being alone and independent and I often scoff at romance but I really do like romantic comedies when they're well written and well cast. I was thinking about why this is when I was watching the movie last night and I guess it's because I think, deep down inside, having some guy realize he loves you and has the guts to chase after you, even after something shitty has happened because he knows you have to be together, is so cool. And, even though I know having a guy try that hard to be with me would never happen in real life, when watching movies like that, just for that one brief moment, I think that it could. And then the movie is over and I'm back to dating people online.

Anyhoo, I digress. In short, the date was really good. The food was good. The company was good. The movie was good. He is a very interesting and nice guy and also very gentlemanly which I don't see much anymore. He opened all doors for me including the car door, paid for the meal, and was really concerned with how I was throughout the night. Was I too cold? Was I comfortable? Did I want him to leave the theatre to get me some water? Despite the fact that I'm very independent normally(I did pay for the movie), it was really nice to be doted on for once.

The only bad thing about the date was that I didn't feel that initial spark. He was really nice and great but there was no immediate chemistry. On my part anyways. I'm pretty sure he felt differently. The good thing is, I think it's worth it to go out with him a couple more times to see what happens. If anything, I'll get to go out and have a good time right? Right.

I guess I'll wait and see!


7 comments:

tee said...

Well done! A good first date, it's the endangered species of singledom. Can't wait to hear about date two!

Bronwyn said...

Sounds like a great first date. Excellent!! I'm glad you had a good time.

Kat said...

Awesome! Isn't it sad though when you are impressed by the fact that the guy actually gives a damn about you and what you have to say?! It should be the norm not the exception.

LynnieC said...

That movie was AWESOME. And thank you for the term "Dance-off moment". There were definitely a few in The Proposal, but Ryan Reynolds in a towel would make ANY movie worth buying an HD tv for.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time!

Farleycat said...

That sounds like a great date! I'm happy for you.

Elan Morgan said...

I'm happy for you! It's so good to hear about a good date for once from someone I know.