Sunday, May 29, 2011

My review of Bridesmaids but not really.

I went to see Bridesmaids with a friend last night and **SPOILER ALERT** it was really fucking funny.  REALLY fucking funny.  Comedies aren't really my favorite film genre because they are so hit and miss and I often just want to leave the theater and ask for my money back because I still, for some reason, continue to be amazed and also horrified at the ways in which toilet and genital humor has advanced, and I'm generally so uncomfortable that I often alternate between extremely nervous laughter or completely hiding my face and wishing I was just waiting in the car.

So, needless to say, I was very pleased when I, not only laughed for almost the entire movie, but I also had to  only hide my face once.  And, here's a tip, if you're going to go to the movie, and I highly recommend that you do, you will see the the moment I'm talking about coming from a mile a way.  So, if you're like me, and you don't think you can handle it, do yourself a favor and just close your eyes for a couple of minutes.  And don't look because you're curious as to how far they'll go.  It's not as far as they could have gone, but it's far enough my friends.

Which brings me to the second point of this post or, rather, the first point because, despite the fact of blathering on for several preceding paragraphs, a point never really seems to surface.  And let me just warn you that before you continue reading, the second/first/only point of this post is a thought that results from the end of the movie and it may or may not be considered a spoiler but, when you think about it, all movies like this basically end the same so it's not really as spoiler-y as you might think.

Have I lost you?  Because I'm pretty sure I've lost myself at this point so if you're still following along, congrats. Or, "congrads" as my friend often says because he actually thinks it's derived from the word "Congradulations".  Sadly for him, it is not.

Ok, point:  Why oh why do all "happy ending" movies always end with the girl getting the guy?  Where are the movies that end happily with the girl realizing that she doesn't actually need a man to be happy and decides to become comfortable being with herself and enjoying her OWN company rather than waiting for her dream man to make her feel less empty inside?  Where are the movies that end with the woman realizing that she can actually make HERSELF feel less empty inside and, holy shit, single women actually CAN be happy and can continue to be happy and don't have to live their lives as a journey with the dreamed about end result being to land a man, get married and have kids?  Where are the movies that end with the woman saying, "Hey, I'm fun!  I like being me.  I like going out when and where I want all the time and sleeping in when I want and eating what I want and doing what I want and never having to compromise because I'm slightly selfish but that's ok because the only person who has to deal with me is me and vice versa and, despite being lonely sometimes, that's a pretty bitchin' arrangement if I do say so myself."? Where are those movies?

Because, guess what?  There ARE actually women out there who think that.  And, more importantly, there are women out there who SHOULD think that but don't because every TV show and movie and book out there tells us that the only ending that is "happy" is the ending that has us finally finding true love, thus ending the horrible, unfulfilled life we have lived up to this point in a giant pail of our own tears of self pity.   We finally, finally, get what we want in the form of everlasting coupledom and now we can really start living.  We can really start living the life we were meant to live.  With our true love.  Our true and only love.

And even though maybe, just maybe, if we stopped and thought for a minute and maybe stopped searching for our soul mate for 5 seconds and looked inside ourselves, we might realize that all of our problems and insecurities won't actually disappear when we've finally found someone to love us.  They will disappear when we finally start to love ourselves.

Now that's a happy ending.

(It's still a good movie though, so go watch it.  Go!)

3 comments:

tee said...

You should write that movie, because you're hilarious and then I wouldn't have to avert my eyes when someone poops in a sink....um, spoiler alert?

Bronwyn said...

They made a movie like that once. It had terrible reviews. No one wants to watch that shit.

Kidding. It was just me.

notquiteawake said...

Tee: I think you need to revisit how spoiler alerts work. And also? Awesome.

May-B: Why you gotta be like that?